Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My New Writing Gimmick

I am constantly looking for ways to cut corners, wait scratch that. Let's call it what it is. I'm constantly looking for ways to procrastinate when it comes to actually writing my novel.
( For proof check out my first post. ) I've written countless "to do" lists, made up schedules and marked up calendars. I've read books on writing and taken classes on writing mostly in an effort to avoid the actual writing.  Once I spent hours writing out random word count assignments. Then I sealed them in separate envelopes, and wrote out every day in March on the front of each one. "Word count assignment for March 1st, Word count assignment for March 2nd...ect" I was supposed to open a different one each day and write the assigned number of words. Guess how many envelopes I opened? TWO!
I still maintain that it was a good idea, even though my follow through wasn't the best.
Well, over the weekend I had a brand new idea for getting the writer in me to step back in line. Or maybe it was a brand new idea for how to procrastinate further...I guess we'll see.
First, let me present the problem. I've been getting my word count in pretty consistently, but I'm bouncing all over the place. I'll write on one story one day and switch to something new the next day. The entire point of this adventure is to finish a novel.
So what's the answer? Why my new writing gimmick of course.
On Monday, (January 20th) I took out 50 small note cards and wrote the number 1,000 on each one of them for a total of 50,000. You're getting it now, right? 50,000 is roughly the length of a completed novel.
 I then took these bad boys and taped them onto my bathroom mirror in neat rows. (I can't wait to see what my husband thinks of this when he gets back into town.)
After I've written 1,000 words I get to take one of those little note cards off the mirror. It's a visual representation of how far I have to go, and how far I've come.
The trick is, it's all got to be on ONE NOVEL. That means my word counts for the day can total up as high as I want, but if I'm not writing on this one particular novel then those note cards stay put.
Gimmick? Or great idea? Waste of time and space or brilliant plan? 
Let me know what you think.



8 comments:

  1. I thought you might find this interesting https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/start-writing-fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, cool! Thanks! Did you sign up for it? I might be interested. I was thinking of taking the Margie Lawson class on character emotion, but I think I missed it:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I definitely signed up for it. Anything that helps in improving my writing techniques is always welcome and even more so when it is free.

      Delete
    2. Cool. I'll sign up too then.

      Delete
  3. I also like a visual to show my accomplishments. I have an Excel spreadsheet (and yes I also have several books going.) The bottom tab of the spreadsheet has the book name. On the spread sheet, I have two columns: Word Count and Goal. I used these to create a pie chart so I get a visual. I update it daily for each book I work on.

    Author Diana Persaud
    Not sure why it keeps saying Anonymous when I select my name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excel spreadsheet is a fantastic idea! It would be great to have the totals and everything in one spot. Plus, I could clean the entire bathroom mirror at one time:)
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta lotta crazy, delictable wordz for you which are crisp, ripe, delicious, and they're truly embellishing the narrative in our psyche/nirvana. Far-out, man. Yummm. And GLEE!!! they're all4you!!! Double HooRayGun! screams RonRaygun...

    Thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta lotta crazy, delictable wordz for you which are crisp, ripe, delicious, and they're truly embellishing the narrative in our psyche/nirvana. Far-out, man. Yummm. And GLEE!!! they're all4you!!! Double HooRayGun! screams RonRaygun...

    Thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete